The STAFFORD family – Sergeant STAFFORD, Albert Edward (1882-1915) and Private STAFFORD, Robert (1880-1944)

William Stafford and (1856-1913) and Lizzie Ann Hall (1858-1928) married in Leicester in 1879.  They had six children, all born in Leicester: Robert (1880-1944); Albert (1882-1915); Louisa (1886-1892); Francis Willie “Frank” (1891-1899); Edith Doris (1896-1978) and Beatrice Martha (1897-1983).  On 24th September 1891 Robert, Albert Edward, Francis Willie and Louisa were baptised together at St Martin’s.  Edith and Beatrice were baptised shortly after their births.

Stafford 2 Victoria Parade
2 Victoria Parade

William was a butcher with his own shop at 2 Victoria Parade, Market Place, taken over from his father Robert. The family lived above the shop at first (the premises had eight rooms including a first floor toilet and washbasin and a huge basement also with running water), but by 1895 their home address was 22 Stretton Road and the former living accommodation was converted to a number of store rooms and offices.  In 1897 they lived at 15 Danes Hill Road, moving to number 23 by 1899.  In 1890 William witnessed the will of fellow St Martin’s man and fellow local businessman Frederick William Hardyman.

Stafford Albert Edward portrait (NP)
Albert Edward Stafford

 

Albert Edward Stafford was born in 1882 and baptised together with his brother Francis and sister Louisa at St Martin’s on 24th September 1891.  After leaving school he probably worked for his father before joining the 65th (Imperial Yeomanry) Company, which was raised in Leicestershire in 1900.  Albert served in the Second Boer War (1899-1902) and was awarded the Queen’s South Africa medal with 5 clasps (or ‘bars’) for service at Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, South Africa 1901 and South Africa 1902.  He was also later awarded the Territorial Efficiency Medal, which was given when a member of the ranks completed 12 years service – with war service counting as double.

He married Bessie Annie Piggott (1883-1938) in Leicester in 1906.  In the following June they had a son, Donald Edward Hall Stafford (1907-1946).  Eventually Albert left the Yeomanry and returned to his father’s trade, working as a butcher and living at 123 Harrow Road in 1911.  He and Bessie had more children – Regina Joan “Joan” (1908-1995) and Mary Josephine (1909-) and they kept a servant, a fifteen year old girl.

Albert’s father died on 23rd December 1913.  When the war started Albert re-enlisted (although into which regiment is not clear), and as an experienced soldier was sent straight to the front, entering France on 2nd October 1914 and serving as a Sergeant.  By this time Bessie and the children had very recently moved to 67 Oxenden Street, Highfields.  At some point Albert joined the 1/1st Leicestershire Yeomanry, Corps of Hussars.  Albert fought at the Battle of Frezenberg Ridge between 11th and 13th May 1915, during which he was badly injured by shrapnel.  Albert died of his wounds on 30th May 1915 at Bagthorpe Military Hospital.  He was one of 94 Yeomanry men who lost their lives during the battle. The Nottingham Post reported on 31st May:

FATAL WOUNDS

LEICESTER SERGEANT’S DEATH AT BAGTHORPE

In spite of all that could be done for him, Sergeant Albert Edward Stafford, of the Leicestershire Yeomanry, who for about a fortnight had been a patient in Bagthorpe Military Hospital, yesterday succumbed to his wounds.  The sergeant, who went to the front in November last was terribly injured, being struck by shell fragments on the face, head, and both legs, whilst his arm was broken. 

In a chat with a Post representative recently, although he insisted on his name being suppressed, he explained what is now well-known, that the scope of cavalry in modern warfare is circumscribed, and that, in consequence, mounted units have to take their turn in the trenches.  Thus it came about that the gallant Leicesters were called upon not only to resist fierce German onslaughts, but to reply in kind, which they did so thoroughly that they covered themselves in glory.  But in the process they paid a heavy price, and their casualties were all too numerous.

Albert was buried at Welford Road Cemetery and commemorated there on the screen wall.  His effects of £4 13s 2d were sent to Bessie on 5th October 1915 and a war gratuity of £6 on 3rd July 1919.  Bessie and the children remained in Leicester but had moved from Oxenden Street by the end of the war.  Bessie died in 1938 whilst living at 29 Grosvenor Crescent, Stoneygate Rise.  She did not remarry.

Older brother Robert Stafford was born in 1880 and baptised at St Martin’s on 24th September 1891 together with Albert Edward, Francis Willie and Louisa.  Robert was also a soldier.  He signed up for twelve years with the 3rd Kings Own Hussars in April 1898, after working with his father as a butcher.  He was then 5’5” tall, weighed 125lbs and had dark brown hair and eyes.  He would later grow to 5’7”.  Robert transferred to the 14th Hussars just before Christmas of the same year.  He was promoted first to Lance Corporal, then Corporal in 1902.  Like Albert, he served in the Second Boer War (1899-1902), sustaining several minor wounds and also contracting scarlet fever and scabies.  In September 1903 he transferred to the Reserves due to a hernia and returned to Leicester to work as a butcher.

Robert married Mary Ann Greasley (1880-1967) at Leicester Registry Office on 2nd July 1907.  They don’t seem to have had any children.  They moved in together at 18 Arthur Street and Mary Ann worked as a stock room clerk in a boot factory.  Robert re-enlisted at Leicester on 7th June 1915, just a few days after learning of the death of his brother.  This time he joined the 2/1st Leicestershire Yeomanry as Corporal and was promoted to Sergeant the following month.  He was sent to Garendon Camp.  However his rank was reduced to Private in October 1915 for being drunk whilst on duty.  He served at home for the duration of the war, probably in a training camp.  He was deemed not suitable for Foreign Service due to his hernia, which ruptured in 1916 and required an operation at West Malling Military Hospital.  He also spent time in Tonbrige Hospital with an infected knee (in 1917), scabies (1917) and impetigo (1918).  These last two conditions were probably as a result of living in barracks.  At the end of the war he transferred to the 13th Yorkshire Regiment before demobilising in February 1919, claiming 20% disablement due to the hernia.  He was awarded a temporary pension.  However by the following year “any impairment had passed away.”

After demobilising Robert returned to work as a butcher’s assistant and lived with Mary Ann at 18 Arthur Street.  Occasionally they took in lodgers – one, Mark Clement Stevenson, lived with them for over twenty years.  Robert’s mother Lizzie Ann moved in shortly before her death in 1928.  Two years after her death, Robert sold the butchers shop premises in Market Street, which were described by the auctioneer as having been in the occupation of the Stafford family for 50 years.

Robert died in Leicester in 1944, Mary Ann in 1967, still living in the home in which they had moved together after their marriage in 1906.

The STEVENSON family – 2nd Lieutenant STEVENSON, Frederick Burton (1893-1953)

George Frederick Stevenson (1853-1913) married Mary Katherine Norah Susan Burton (1862-1928) at St Mary de Castro in 1883.  They had four children – Norah Evelyn Elizabeth (1884-1953); George Charles Burton (1885-1912), Frederick Burton (1893-1953) and William Burton (1896-1906).  They were all baptised at St Martin’s shortly after their births, Frederick Burton Stevenson on 30th January 1893.  The family lived at 73 Princess Street until after 1885 and by the time Frederick was born, at 118 Regent Road (Below, left).  In 1905 they moved a few doors down to number 132 Regent Road (Below, right), before moving out of Leicester to Quorn Lodge by 1911.

George Frederick Stevenson was a solicitor working for George Stevenson and Son (his father’s firm) at 11 New Street in the parish of St Martin.  George Frederick was sidesman at St Martin’s from 1886 to 1890, the Churchwarden until 1893 and Deputy Churchwarden until 1909.  He was also Honorary Secretary of Leicester Institution for the Blind and treasurer of the Leicester Literary and Philosophical Society, as well as being Mayor of Leicester 1869-1870.  Mary Katherine was in charge of a stall at the St Martin’s “Yellow Bazaar” in February 1899.

Youngest son William Burton died in 1906 aged ten.  Eldest son George Charles Burton had served as a 2nd lieutenant in the Leicestershire Regiment and then as a Lieutenant in Prince Albert’s Own Regiment in 1909, at the same time as studying law.  By 1912 he was a captain in the Leicestershire Yeomanry.  On 8th January 1912 he was suffering from a cold so decided to stay in bed.  Later that day he was later discovered by his sister Norah, shot through the head.  It was inconclusive who fired the fatal shot.  So when George Frederick Stevenson died after a long illness on 22nd October 1913 only Norah and Frederick were left to live with their mother.

Frederick studied at Cheltenham College, where he was a member of the Officers Training Corps. In he was a law student.  When war broke out he enlisted from his mother’s house, still Quorn Lodge, joining as a private in the Inns of Court Officers Training Corps.  He then had a BMI of 28 and Frederick would have been noticeably larger than most of his peers.  He was discharged after just 33 days for “unsatisfactory conduct”.  However he eventually gained a commission as 2nd Lieutenant in the 3rd Battalion Leicestershire Regiment on 26th August 1915 and entered France the following June.  He was captured and taken as a Prisoner Of War, reported missing on 27th May 1918 and not returning until the end of the year.  Frederick’s mother Mary Katherine maintained a link with St Martin’s during this time and contributed to the congregational tea in 1915.

In June 1919 Frederick departed for Bombay as a tea planter.  But this was not a success – by 1923 he was back in England where he married Winifred Minnie Jourdain Welch (1884-1971) in Sussex at the beginning of the year.  The following year they were living near Taunton in Devon.  Frederick died in Bristol on 20th July 1953 and Minnie in Hove, Sussex, in 1971.

The TOMPSON family – Private TOMPSON, Frank Meredith (1896–1917), Nurse TOMPSON, Dorothy Emily (1889-1982) and 2nd Lieutenant TOMPSON, Gordon Charles (1893-1984)

John Meredith Tompson (1857-1929) and Kate Mary Joyce (c1867-1955) married in Leicester in 1888.  They had children Dorothy Emily (1889-1982); Miriam Kathleen “Kath” (1891-1988); Gordon Charles (1893-1984); Frank Meredith (1896-1917) and Bertram Edward (1898-1968).  John was a draper with his own business.  Until at least 1898 this was at 31 High Street; thereafter at number 1 Loseby Lane, which John later purchased for £2500 in 1919 along with three other nearby properties which he rented out.  The family lived at 48 Welford Road in 1889, at Ivy Houses, Ivanhoe Street until about 1895, at 32 Narborough Road until c1900 and then at Freemans Common.  From some time before 1911 they lived at 58 Regent Road, remaining there throughout the First World War.  The family were worshippers at St Martin’s and both Gordon Charles and Frank Meredith were choristers.

Loseby Lane shop
1 Loseby Lane
58 Regent Road
58 Regent Road

After the war and the loss of their son Frank, John Meredith and Kate Mary lived on at 58 Regent Road until around 1923, when they moved for a brief while to The Parsonage, Braunstone, and then by 1928 to 17 Abingdon Road where John died in 1929.  The draper’s business at 1 Loseby Lane continued until this time and then closed after John’s death.

 

Frank Meredith Tompson (PG)
Frank Meredith Tompson

Frank Meredith Tompson was baptised at the Church of the Martyrs on 25th October 1896.  He was a pupil at Newarke School between 1908 and 1914.  In 1912 he was awarded 1st class honours in the Oxford Local examinations.  Frank was an altar server at St George’s church, having previously been a chorister at St Martin’s.  After leaving school he became a student at Mirfield Theological College (College of the Resurrection), presumably intending to enter the priesthood.  Nevertheless he volunteered as a soldier in 1914, joining the Seaforth Highlanders 6th battalion.  He died during the battle of Arras on 9th April 1917 aged 20.

On 7th April the battalion marched to trenches east of Roclincourt, which were under heavy fire from German artillery.  Frank and his battalion were ordered to adopt fighting dress including carrying entrenching tools, haversack (containing spare oil tin, iron ration and waterproof sheet), full bottle of water, 120 rounds of ammunition, two grenades and a box respirator.  These were vital as the Division planned to deploy gas bombs.  The men were given a ration of rum and a cup of Oxo – described as “a hot meal” – at around 3.30am.  The order was given to fix bayonets and then five minutes later at 5.30am on 9th April 1917 they attacked three lines of German trenches.  The battalion succeeded in capturing its objective “The Black Line” – that is, the German firing line, support line and reserve line.  However, four officers and 142 men of other ranks were killed including Frank.  A further five officers and 176 men were wounded.

Frank’s parents placed a notice to his memory in the Leicester Mercury on 30th April 1917 which read “TOMPSON – killed in action on Easter Monday, Frank Meredith (Seaforth Highlanders), second and beloved son of Mr and Mrs J M Tompson, 58 Regent-road, Leicester, aged 20”

Frank is commemorated at Highland Cemetery, Roclincourt.  Frank’s best friend, Lieutenant Alfred Ernest Chambers (1896-1918), whose nickname was “Cheddar,” died on 29th October 1918 at a casualty clearing station in France.  Frank had also been also an altar server at St George’s and a close personal friend of the vicar, the Reverend Cecil Lowes Robinson.  A plaque was erected to Frank’s memory – next to his best friend’s plaque – at St George’s, which reads:

In loving memory of/FRANK MEREDITH TOMPSON/6th Bttn Seaforth Highlanders/Student of Mirfield Theological/College, and altar server/at this church.  He was killed/in action near Arras on/Easter Monday April 9th 1917/aged twenty years.  R.I.P./”Time passeth, the world changeth/death hideth. But love abideth.”/”Lift up your hearts:/We lift them up unto the Lord.”  This was moved to St Martin’s church at the request of his brother Gordon in 1983, shortly before his own death, when St George’s church building transferred to the Serbian Orthodox Church.

Screenshot (5)Frank’s brother Gordon later presented a chair to Leicester Cathedral (formerly St Martin’s Church) in memory of his brother, which is still in use today. The chair contains an inscription which reads: This chair is given by the brother/ and fellow chorister, Gordon/ in affectionate memory of/ Frank Meredith Thompson/ one time choir boy of the Cathedral/ later priest in training/ who was killed in action at Arras/ Easter Monday April 9th 1917 Aged 20 Years/ You will not mourn as those without hope/ lift up your hearts.

Frank is also remembered in the memorial to the boys of the Newarke School who fell 1914-18 and on Leeds University memorial panel (addenda).

Gordon Charles Tompson (NP)
Gordon Charles Tompson

Frank’s older brother Gordon Charles Tompson was born on 9th February at number 1 High Street in the parish of St Martin.  He was baptised at Holy Trinity on 5th March 1893.  He joined the choir at St Martin’s as a chorister aged ten.  He was educated at Wyggeston School.  By adulthood Gordon was 5’7” tall, with black hair and brown eyes and a dark complexion.  He began a career as a county court clerk after leaving school but by late 1911 decided to join his father in the family business.  John Meredith Tompson was suffering from a heart condition, which became serious in the spring of 1914.  Being the eldest son, John felt responsible and although John’s health had improved significantly by July, when war broke out Gordon felt torn between his duty towards his country and his duty as a son and brother to maintain the family income.  He compromised by joining a home service battalion – the 2/4th Leicestershire Regiment – as soon as it was formed in September 1914.  He was promoted Lance Corporal on 20th October in the same year.

Gordon’s physical condition was not great and he suffered from heart trouble – “dilatation of the heart.”  In July 1915 he was awarded two months sick leave.  Nevertheless he was commissioned second lieutenant, seconded for duty with the 28th provisional battalion, in October 1915.  A reference for his good character was provided by Canon Sanders who had been vicar of St Martin’s whilst Gordon was a chorister.  Gordon transferred to the Lincolnshire Regiment in 1916.  Between July 1916 and October 1916 Gordon was officer (Lieutenant) in command of a company of the 13th Lincolnshire Regiment.

On 16th April 1917, Gordon married Florence Mary Perkins (1885-1958) who was seven years his senior, at St James the Greater, Derby. Florence was known as “Florrie” or “Flossie.”  At this time he was serving with the 13th Lincolnshire Regiment and Florence was working as a VAD.  It is possible that they met whilst Gordon was convalescing from one of his periods of illness.

Gordon held the acting rank of Captain during various periods including during 1916 and from 1st January 1919 to 14th March 1919 when he worked at a prisoner of war camp in Italy.  During the summer Gordon was ill and spent time at Arquata Scrivia hospital near Genoa, after which he was transferred to Prince of Wales Hospital, London, and then awarded two months sick leave.  He demobilised on 22nd October 1919.  Gordon requested to keep the honorary rank of Captain but this was refused, despite his complaint that “I really need the extra money – and money to which I am entitled and should have received but for my Adjudicant not at time being aware of the [War Office] order….it will help me considerably at a time when, through my disability, I am rather in need of it.”  The Medical Officer disagreed, stating that Gordon had only a slight heart murmur, however eventually 30% disability as a result of home service in 1915 was agreed.

After the war Gordon returned to live with Florrie at 2 Livingstone Street, moving in about 1924 to 13 Lincoln Street, to Ashwood, Dovedale Road in about 1932 and finally to 3 Barrington Road in 1938, which they had designed to their own specification.  In 1925 Gordon was the owner of the “Supportu Underwear Co” Leicester, which was a successful business enabling Gordon to purchase a holiday cottage in Devon, where Gordon’s nieces and nephews stayed during summer holidays and where they rode his pet pony Joey.  Gordon also managed the lease of 1-3a Loseby Lane, which had passed to Gordon and his siblings on the death of his father, along with 17 St Martin’s.  The properties were sold in 1962.

Florence died in 1958 at St Francis Private Hospital in London Road.  After the death of Florrie, Gordon married Louise Mathilde Cottam (1913-2004) later that year.  Louise was an accomplished artist and cello player.  Gordon died in 1984.

Dorothy Emily Tompson (PG)
Dorothy Emily Tompson

Dorothy Emily Tompson – known to her family at “Dot” – was born on 6th May 1889 and baptised at Holy Trinity a month later on 12th June.  She attended Wyggeston Girls’ School, winning attendances and essay prizes in 1904.   She was an elementary school teacher by 1911.  She served as a VAD (“Voluntary Aid Detachment”) with Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Nursing Service during the Great War.  Dorothy embarked for France on 9th November 1915 and served until 27th February 1919.  She was awarded 1914-15 Star, the British War and Victory medals.

Wyggeston Girls School2
Wyggeston Girls School

Dorothy married Walter George Fluke (1896-1977) soon after returning to Leicester, at Holy Trinity on 22 April 1919.  Walter had served in the South Staffordshire Regiment, where he rose from the rank of 2nd lieutenant to Major and was awarded the DSO.  He had also been a prisoner of war between March and December 1918, having been shot down on a bombing raid into Germany as part of 55 Squadron Royal Flying Corps and taken prisoner on the 24th of March. He was repatriated on the 17th of December 1918.  Dorothy and Walter moved in with Walter’s parents at Aboyne, 8 Nunnery Road, Canterbury.  They moved to North Mead, Altcar Road, Formby.  Dorothy gave birth to a daughter, Monica (1921-2013), in Singapore in 1921.  In 1922 Walter, Dorothy and Monica travelled together from Rangoon, Burma, to England where they lived for some time.  In 1923 Dorothy and her daughter made the trip to Rangoon alone – perhaps to see Walter.  Her address was given on both occasions as that of her parents at 58 Regent Road.

The marriage was extremely unhappy, with Dorothy experiencing “great unkindness and cruelty” – likely to be a euphemism for domestic violence – which eventually led her to leave Walter in October 1924 as “it was unsafe” for her to continuing living with him.  Meanwhile Walter continued to commit adultery with numerous women.  Dorothy divorced Walter in 1928 whilst living at Ottery, London Road, Oadby – requesting custody of Monica, which was granted.  Walter did not contest the divorce.  He re-married in 1931 to Catherine Elizabeth Cockburn (1882-1964).

Dorothy also remarried on 11th May 1931, at Thurcaston Church, to Ernest Frederick Lionel de Jersey (1872-1941).  She stated her marriage condition as “unmarried” – it is not clear how she obtained permission to marry in church, as a divorcee.  Perhaps she did not fully explain her circumstances.  She also described her deceased father as a “gentleman” which was not strictly true.  At this time Dorothy’s address was Little Orchard, Rothley.  Ernest – son of a clergyman – had been a surgeon in the French Red Cross during World War One and was previously married to Agnes Mary Hadfield (1878-1929), who died in 1929.  He had children Agnes Helene (1909-1986), Marguerite (1913-1976) and Charles Frederick le Vavassour (1918-1986)– all of whom lived in Guernsey, where Ernest worked as a GP.  Dorothy’s brother Bertram joined Ernest’s medical practice in Guernsey after completing his medical training in London, which is possibly how Ernest and Dorothy met (though they could also have met through their war service).  Ernest’s daughter Agnes married Bertram a month after his own wedding on 30th June 1931.  Dorothy’s daughter Monica lived with Dorothy and Ernest, taking the surname de Jersey until her marriage in 1942.

Dorothy remained on the nursing reserve – it is not clear whether she also nursed during the second world war.

Ernest practised as a GP in Surbiton, Surrey after ten years of marriage, in 1941.  Dorothy lived for another forty years.  Her address between at least 1939 and 1956 was Gorse Corner, 98 Pauntley Road, Mudeford, Christchurch.  She died in 1982 at a nursing home in Brockenhurst in the New Forest, where sister Kathleen also died.  During these latter years Dorothy and Kathleen were taken care of by their brother Gordon.

The WAITE family – 2nd Lieutenant WAITE, Frederick Maxwell “Max” 1895-1915 and Captain WAITE, Norman Simpson (1894-1943)

Frederick Warwick Waite (1860-1935) and Jane Simpson (1862-1945) married at Salem Chapel, Halifax in May 1892.  Their only children were Norman Simpson born (1894-1943) and Frederick Maxwell (1895-1915), known as “Max”.  Frederick senior was a bank manager at the Stamford Spalding & Boston Banking Co, 20 High Street Market Harborough.  The family lived at Little Bowden.  Between 1904 and 1911 Frederick Warwick became manager of the Gallowtree Gate branch of Barclay & Co Ltd and the family moved to The Spinneys, Manor Road, Oadby.  Mr and Mrs Waite were active members of the St Martin’s congregation.  Mrs Waite helped with the St Martin’s stall at the Mayor’s Bazaar in 1917.

frederick_waite (PG)
Frederick Maxwell Waite

Known as “Max”, Frederick Maxwell Waite was born on 4th May 1895 and baptised at Little Bowden on 3rd November 1895.  He attended Stoneygate College until 1909.  Between 1909 and 1912 Max attended Oundle School, where he boarded, was a member of Grafton House, and a keen member of the OTC.  He was reputed to be a good shot and oarsman and played golf and tennis.  He also won a swimming race and half mile running race.  After leaving school Frederick Maxwell, known as “Max”, was articled to Messrs Hopps and Bankart, Chartered Accountants, whose office was in Friar Lane.  He served as sidesman at St Martin’s.

 

Max joined the army in August 1914, receiving his commission as second lieutenant in the 1/4th Leicestershire Regiment on 11th August.  He left Bishop’s Stortford with his battalion by train at 9.40 on 27th February 1915, landing at Le Havre at 4.30am on 5th March 1915.  Max left Gare des Merchandises at 10.30, arriving at Cassel with 27 other officers, over 800 men, 72 horses and nine tricycles.  Max was in charge of the wagon loading party.  Frederick often worked with fellow St Martin’s man John Frederick Johnson.

Max billeted at a brewery near the station.  Notice of advance was expected at any moment and the battalion was expected to be ready to move with one hour’s notice.  Max was killed by a wound through the head (over his eye) at 9.15pm on 6th June “when standing at south end of [trench] facing north west”.  He died the following day, three days after his 20th birthday.  The battalion war diary records “at 2am…..between Rist and Lindenhoek Dressing Station…v quiet night….misty morning and no wind.”   He was buried at Packhorse Shrine Cemetery (one of the last to be buried there – the cemetery only contains 59 First World War burials and was used April –June 1915).  Effects of £39 10s 9d were sent to his father.  An Officer wrote; “He was always cheerful and was a real leader of men; he did not know what fear was; always a soldier and a gentleman, and beloved by all about him, ready for work or fun, each in its own place. His men would do anything for him, and would follow him anywhere.”

The Leicester Mercury printed an obituary on 10th June 1915: “DEATH OF LIEUTENANT MAX WAITE Much regret will be occasioned by the news just received in Leicester of the death at the front of Lieutenant Max Waite, a son of Mr F W Waite, manager of the local branch of Barclay’s Bank.  Lieutenant Waite was attached to the 4th Leicesters, and joined the Army at the beginning of the war.  He was very popular among a wide circle of friends, and his untimely death will be much deplored.  A brother of the deceased officer is also a lieutenant in the Leicesters, and is reported to be under orders to proceed abroad.

Waite 2Frederick’s medals were dispatched to his parents in July 1922.  He was commemorated at St Mary Magdalen Church, Knighton and on Oadby memorial.  A memorial was added to his parents’ grave memorial cross at Welford Road Cemetery which reads:

Frederick Maxwell/2nd Lieut, 4th Leicesters/Second son of FREDERICK WAITE/Killed in action, France 1915

He is also commemorated at Oundle School.

Oundle school memorial - CREDIT
Oundle School memorial: With thanks to Oundle School

Norman Simpson Waite was born on 6th March 1894.  He attended Stoneygate College and Oundle School, where he boarded like his brother Max.  After leaving school Norman joined the staff of Messrs T Roberts & Sons, shoemakers, The Newarke.  When war came Norman joined up and was commissioned second lieutenant in the 2/4th Battalion Leicestershire Regiment on 26th September 1914, along with Sam Pilkington who was made lieutenant the same day.  The 2/4th moved in January 1915 to Luton and by July 1915 at St Albans.  Norman was promoted Lieutenant in April 2015.

Frederick Warwick, Norman & Jane Waite (PG)
Norman Simpson Waite as an infant, with his parents

In April 1916 the battalion moved to Ireland, returning in January 1917.  They left Southampton on 24th February 1917 and arrived at Le Havre in the early hours of the 25th.  On 4th May he assumed command of C Company.  On 20th May he returned to England for a fortnight’s leave, returning to the Front in June as a Captain.  On 24th September the battalion moved from Poperinghe up to Ypres north sector and Norman led his company in the first wave of an attack – “the first of the German prisoners began to come in and many were seen to be helping our own wounded along to the dressing station.”  A number of officers and over 70 men were killed. On the morning of 30th November enemy bombardment was so heavy that the battalion sent out an SOS signal.  In January 1918 Norman again went on leave, during a period where the rest of the battalion were training at Ligneroil. The battalion was reorganised into 4 platoons by absorbing a draft from the 2/5th Leicestershires in February, moving to Bullecourt by motor lorry on the 12th where more training took place, this time in defence and counter attack, and “quite good” games of football were enjoyed.

At the end of the war Norman returned to Leicester, where he lived at Mayfield, London Road. He married Kathleen Helen Wand (1897-1979) at St Mary de Castro on 15th June 1920.  Kathleen gave Norman a gold watch as a wedding gift.  According to the Leicester Journal, “a large and fashionable assemblage of guests” attended the wedding reception at Kathleen’s parents’ home before Norman and Kathleen departed for their honeymoon in Salcome, Devon.  Together they had two children: Maxwell Allan (1921-1992) and

Waite 134 Westcotes Drive
134 Westcotes Drive

Harry Warwick (1924-2010).  Norman and Kathleen moved into 134 Westcotes Drive, where they would remain until 1938.  Norman was a hosiery manufacturer working for Murdock & Co, whose factory was at 29 Newarke Street.  He made an application for his medals on 30th November 1924.  From around 1933 he was a hosiery agent and merchant on his own account at 371a Tudor Road – moving premises to Queens Buildings, Queen Street in 1940.

Norman, Kathleen and the children moved to Grey Lodge, Kirby Muxloe in 1938, remaining there until Norman’s death on 9th April 1943.  Norman had dropped dead in Halford Street aged 49.  He left £11,000 and was buried at Welford Road Cemetery, next to his mother Jane.  In 1949 Kathleen married again, to Ellis Charlesworth Johnson (1872-1952).  Ellis only lived for another five years.  Kathleen died in January 1979 and was buried with her first husband Norman at Welford Road, Ellis having been buried with his first wife.

The WALE family – Private WALE, Philip (1893-1917)

Philip was the third and youngest son of Frederick Wale (1852-1927), oilman and dry-salter, and Ada Esther Bowers (1871-1898).  As well as brothers Frederick Robert (1889-1968) and Sydney (1891-1928), Philip had an older half-sister Edith Mary (1882-1971).  His mother died in 1898 when Philip was just five and Philip was brought up by his father and stepmother Fanny nee Turner (c1862-1931), whom his father married in 1908.  The family lived (renting) at 15 Midland Street from at least 1891.  In 1885 the property was described in an advertisement in the Leicester Mercury as a “superior and well thought out dwelling” containing dining and drawing rooms, entrance hall, two kitchens, office, four bedrooms and two cellars, combined with “commodious and recently erected business premises”: Ground floor store room, 2 stall stable and two workshops. Philip attended Wyggeston Boys School. However, by 1911 and age 18 Philip lived elsewhere, probably in Peterborough.

Philip joined the Essex Regiment at Peterborough as a private soldier, at which time his address was Dogsthorpe Road, Peterborough.  After fighting at Gallipoli, Philip landed with his battalion, the 1/5th, on 17th December 1915.  On 28th Dec 1915 the battalion was sent to El Hamam, Egypt before moving eastwards to protect the Suez Canal.  February was spent crossing the Sinai Peninsula.  Philip then took part in the First Battle of Gaza on 26th March 1917.  Infantry and mounted infantry took part in heavy fighting against the Turks around the town of Gaza.  There were many casualties – Philip was one of them.  He was taken to Number 2 Australian Stationary Hospital, El Arish, Egypt, which acted as the principal clearing centre for the First Battle of Gaza, but died of his wounds on the 4th April 1917.  His grave is at Kantara War Memorial Cemetery, Egypt.  Philip left effects of £4 13s 10d and a war gratuity of £9 10s was eventually awarded to father Frederick.  He is commemorated on the Roll of Honour at Peterborough Cathedral.

The Leicester Mercury printed Philip’s name in the daily Roll of Honour on 23rd April 1917:

DIED OF WOUNDS (Essex Regiment)  Wale, 250778 P (Leicester)

Frederick died 1927 living at The Cottage, Humberstone Drive and Fanny in 1931.  No war service record can be found for either of Philip’s brothers and it may be that they were in poor health, especially Sydney who died in 1928 aged 37.

The WEBB family – Lance Sergeant WEBB, Percy Douglas (1892-1915)

Percy Douglas Webb was the eldest son of Arthur Edward Barnard Webb (1859-1927) and Susan “Susie” Louisa Wyatt (1870-1958), who married at St Giles’ church in Northampton in March 1890.  Susie and Arthur had four children – Gladys Irene (1891-1984), Percy Douglas (1892-1915), Phyllis Elsie (1897-1928) and Arthur Raymond “Raymond” (1898-), all born in Wellingborough.  The family remained at Wellingborough, where Arthur kept a draper’s shop on the High Street, until 1900 when they moved to Swadlincote in Derbyshire.  Again, Arthur was a clothier shopkeeper, living above the shop and keeping a servant, but things went badly.  By 1907 Arthur was working as an assistant in someone else’s clothiers business and he had received orders of bankruptcy.  The family lived for at least a year at The Crib, New Street, Lutterworth, with no servant, and by the time they moved to Leicester the family income was supplemented by Susie teaching music.  The house at 72 Tyrrell Street where they lived between 1910 and 1913 had just two bedrooms and they could no longer afford to employ a servant.

Percy was already a private in the Northumberland Fusiliers by 1911, stationed in Yorkshire.  He was part of the 2nd Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers in 1914 and already a Corporal.  On 16th January 1916 Percy disembarked with his battalion in France, by now promoted to Lance Sergeant.  He travelled by train to Belgium and died less than three months later on 8th May 1915, the first day of the Battle of Frezenberg Ridge, part of the Second Battle of Ypres.  There was enormous loss of life that day: Trenches were destroyed by enormous shell fire and high explosives and soldiers killed and buried where they fought.

At first no remains of Percy were found.  Over a year later, the Army sent Percy’s effects of £14 9s 9d to his father Arthur.  In 1919 his medals followed, and Percy was commemorated on the memorial to the fallen at Menin Gate, which remembers those with no known grave.  However, during the 1920s Percy’s body was found along with several others in an unmarked grave and identified by his clothes, titles and disc.  It was exhumed and reburied nearby at Sanctuary Wood Cemetery.  Around 1928 the titles and disc were sent to his mother, who was by then living at 27 King’s Newton Street.

Arthur Barnard Webb remained a draper’s assistant in 1914, living at 73 Haddon Street.  He died in 1927 in his native Essex.  Susie died living at 91 Cranbourne Street in 1958.

The WHITE family – Private WHITE, Frank Ernest (1897-1915)

John White (1870-1954) and Ellen Maria Lewis (c1878-1955) married in 1895.  They had five surviving children:  Daughter Winifred Susan (1895-1962) and four sons; Frank Ernest (1897-1915); George William (1900-1983); John Lewis (1903-1974) and Herbert Francis (1906-1981).  John had been a footman to the Bishop of Oxford in 1891 and lived at the Bishop’s Palace.  Winifred was born in Oxfordshire in 1895 but by the time Frank was born the family lived at Great Cransley, near Kettering and his father was butler at Cransley Hall, which since 1890 had been occupied by the Watson family.  Frank was almost certainly born in servants’ quarters in the house or grounds.  He was baptised at St Andrew’s, Cransley, on 9th May 1897.  In March of that year John intervened in a fracas that took place whilst wages were being paid, between an estate employee and the elderly coachman who was handing out the payments.

Sometime between April of 1900 and April of 1901 the Whites moved to Rockingham Castle, also occupied by the Watson family, and John White continued working as a butler – unusually not living in the home of his employer, at least in 1911.  In September 1900 John met with an accident, which was reported in the Leicester Chronicle:

FALL FROM A BICYCLE – An accident occurred to Mr White, butler of Rockingham Castle, while cycling one day last week.  When descending a hill near Great Easton brickyard his foot slipped from the pedal, and he was thrown from the machine, severely cutting his head and face and injuring his knee.  He was taken on to Great Easton to have his wounds dressed by Dr Duke.

Rockingham Castle
Rockingham Castle

When war came the Reverend Wentworth Watson (1848-1925), owner of Rockingham Castle, offered Rockingham Castle as a hospital for injured soldiers in August 1914 and was accepted by the War Office.  So, as with many country houses, life at Rockingham Castle changed substantially.  Rooms and even whole wings were closed off and grand parties and entertaining came to an end.  Male servants signed up for active service in droves and many female servants looked for war work in factories or as nurses, so there was no longer a need for a butler at Rockingham.

Mr Wentworth Watson seems to have known Canon Nugee.  They were both curates at St German’s, Cardiff – Watson predating Nugee by just a few months.  They both attended the requiem for Nugee’s brother in law Bishop Smythies in 1894 (Wentworth Watson sang in the choir), so it may have been John’s employer at Rockingham who found or encouraged John to apply for his new role at St Martin’s Church, Leicester.  However it came about, early in 1915 John became parish clerk – and shortly after clerk and verger (following the retirement of John Woodcock) – of St Martin’s.  The rest of the family were very active in the church as you might expect.  Herbert Francis and John Lewis were sidesmen during the 1920s and 30s and both later married at St Martin’s.  As well as being Verger, John served on the PCC.

The only member of the family of eligible age, Frank joined the Northants Regiment 5th battalion (Pioneers) on reaching 18 in 1915.  During training he was based in Aldershot, then on 31st May he mobilised with his battalion to France.  Frank survived for less than six weeks before being killed in action in Flanders on 4th July 1915, aged 18.  The Grantham Journal printed the following on 31st July 1915:

ROCKINGHAM MAN FATALLY HURT

Pte Frank White, the son of a former butler at Rockingham Castle, has been killed at the front. He was employed by Mr H Jones, butcher and baker, Rockingham, at the time he volunteered and he was only visiting here a few weeks before the report came of his early end. He was about twenty years old.

White 173 Western Road
173 Western Road

He left effects of £2 15s 6d, which were paid to his mother.  A war gratuity of £3 was also paid to her in 1919.  Frank was buried at Talena Farm Cemetery, Flanders.  St Martin’s parish magazine does not record the death but does mention that at that time Mr John White had a temporary address of 33 Green Lane Road, Humberstone.  Later on that year the address was 173 Western Road.

John and Ellen Maria lived at 37 Noble Street from October 1915.  In 1920 the vicar, Macnutt, gave £1 6s 6d to John White “re Herbert’s illness” and a further £1 5s as a Christmas present.  John served as verger at St Martin’s for 35 years, retiring in 1951.  He lived on at Noble Street until his death in 1954.  Ellen Maria died there the following year.

The WILLIAMS family – Captain WILLIAMS, Montagu William (1859-1924) and VAD WILLIAMS, Gladys Marie (1889-1956)

Henry Denton Montagu Williams (c1827-1914) and Mary Elizabeth Beane (c1836-1919) who had children: Montagu William (1859-1924); Ella Mary (1860-1925); Claude (1861-1862); Edith (1863-1916); Constance (1864-1903); Isabella Mary (1866-1870); Ethel Maude (1869-1941); Catherine (1870-); Francis Beane (1872-1954); Ada Penelope (1874-1932).

Montagu William Williams was baptised at Saham Toney, Norfolk, on 15th May 1859.  Montagu and his family lived at Saham Toney until around 1868, when the family moved to Tunbridge Wells.  Father Henry was a coal, corn, seed and ‘artificial manure’ merchant in a series of short lived partnerships.  He later became a schoolmaster, following bankruptcy in 1888.

After school Montagu went up to Exeter College Oxford.  He began training for the medical profession at Middlesex Hospital, in Windmill Street, London, passing his primary examination in anatomy in 1880.  He became a licensed apothecary in London in 1882 and achieved his medical registration in February 1885.

Exeter College Oxford
Exeter College, Oxford

On 21 July 1886 Montagu married Ida Maria Nichols (1857-1946), daughter of an architect, at St Pancras Parish Church.  Montagu and Ida moved to 61½ High Cross Street, Leicester. Their only son Montagu Denton Cubitt (1887-1888) was born in Leicester the following year and baptised in Camden.  He died soon after.  Three daughters followed – Gladys Marie (1889-1956), Enid Maude (1890-1974) and Doreen Ida Mary (1897-1994), all of whom were baptised at St Martin’s.  Montagu and his family attended St Martin’s from at least 1887.  Montagu was sidesman from 1889 to 1896 and churchwarden for the years 1908-1910.  He was a member of the PCC and a deputy churchwarden from 1921 until his death.  He was the medical attendant of the Reverend Dr David James Vaughan, vicar of St Martin’s until 1893, until his death in 1905.

By 1891 the family had settled at 45 London Road, where Montagu also ran his medical practice.  In 1900 the practice extended to number 43 London Road.  They remained at 43-45 London Road until 1920.  As well as his general practice, Montagu served on various local medical committees, including that of the Leicester Maternity Hospital.  He supported improvements for the care of women and also of children.  As well as medical charity, Montagu also contributed financially to the new Vaughan Working Mens College which opened in 1906.  In 1905 Montagu’s sister Catherine appeared in scandalous newspaper reports of her divorce and illegitimate child, which may have caused him some embarrassment. He hunted with the Fernie Hunt in 1913.

Montagu became a Captain in the RAMC on 5th July 1915 and worked at the 5th Northern General Hospital (Leicester).  In June 1918 Montagu became very ill and spent time as a patient at the base hospital (now the Fielding Johnson buildings, University of Leicester).  This was the last of both his war and civilian work.

5th Northern Hospital
5th Northern General Hospital Ward A2 (Verandah)

In 1920 Montagu and Ida purchased “Glenholm” on the corner of West Walk and New Walk, described as “a very handsome and attractive family residence, exceedingly well fitted up and heated throughout, erected a few years ago in the soundest manner.”  They lived at Glenholm for just four years, until Montagu’s death on 7th August 1924.  He was buried at Welford Road Cemetery.  Amongst other legacies, Montagu left his Italian cabinet to daughter Doreen.  Ida Maria died in 1946 and was buried with her husband at Welford Road.

Gladys Marie Williams was born on 6th April 1889 and baptised at St Martin’s on 3rd June 1889.  There are no surviving records to show which school she attended and she doesn’t appear to have had a job.  Between April 1917 and August 1918 she was a full-time Red Cross VAD, with expenses paid, at Cottesbrooke Auxilliary Hospital, Northamptonshire.  Cottesbrooke Hall had been converted to a hospital in 1914 by the owner Mrs Brassey who took personal charge of fifty beds and was one of many hospitals where soldiers were often less seriously wounded and were mainly in need of convalescence.  Isabel Brightland was also there between June and August 1917.

Cottesbrooke Hall
Cottesbrooke Hall

On 19th July 1922 Gladys married Noel Arthur Johnston Ewen (1896-1952) at St Martins giving 5 St Martins East as her address.  Noel was six years her junior and lived in Oadby.  He had served as a second lieutenant in the Leicestershire Regiment, joining the 8th Battalion in September 1914.  Noel’s father, Arthur John Ewen, owned Ewen & Son Ltd, yarn merchant and agents at 2-3 de Montfort Chambers, 6 Horsefair Street. He was sidesman at St Martin’s in 1915.  Noel worked for his father and later took on the business.

Gladys and Noel moved to Ashover, 86 Knighton Road.  They had children Guy Montagu Johnston Ewen (1923-2010) and Rosamond M (1926-), but it was not a successful marriage.  Gladys divorced Noel in 1936 due to his adultery with Joyce Ella Abell, a married woman who lived in Oadby.  Noel and Joyce married in 1937.

Gladys lived on with the children at Knighton Road.  During the second world war she worked in a canteen supporting civil defence as part of the WVS (later WRVS).  She died at Leicester Royal Infirmary on 26th February 1956 aged 67.

The WOODCOCK family – Corporal WOODCOCK, Arthur Nixon (1885-1929)

Arthur Nixon Woodcock (PG)
Arthur Nixon Woodcock

Arthur Nixon Woodcock (1853- 1925 born in Leicester) and Eliza Butler (c1856-1927) had four children, all born in Dunbar, East Lothian.  They were Arthur Nixon (c1886-1929); Martha Elizabeth (1889-1978); Sarah Dunbar (1893-1969) and Elizabeth (1895-).  Arthur was a soldier who served in the Afghan war of 1878-79 and for several years in India, rising to the rank of Brigade Sergeant Major in the Royal Artillery.  The family remained in Dunbar until shortly before Arthur senior retired from the army in 1900.  He was appointed recruiting Sergeant-Major in Leicester.

In February of that year Arthur became clerk at St Martin’s, living with his family at 21 Asylum Street until at least the end of 1901.  He also became a lieutenant of the 1st Leicester Company Boys Brigade (St Martin’s) in 1901, serving as drill officer.  In 1906 he took on the role of verger, and the family lived in five rooms at 1 Bruce Street.

Arthur and Eliza’s son Arthur Nixon Woodhouse had blue eyes and brown hair.  He joined the Royal Garrison Artillery in November 1899 at Leicester aged 14 and just 5 feet tall, weighing 93lbs. He served as a musician, playing in the Royal Artillery band at Woolwich.  During this time Arthur gained a 3rd class certificate in education and two tattooed dots between the left thumb and wrist.  He paid £25 to discharge himself in September 1907 (£9 of which was later repaid to him, in 1916).  He returned to Leicester to live with his parents at Bruce Street.

Arthur married Lizzie Grace Cave (1883-1971), a cap sewing machinist, on 26th May 1912 at the Church of the Martyrs.  Arthur described himself as ‘musician’.  In October of that year he played at a concert held at North Evington Infirmary.  Together Arthur and Lizzie Grace they had children Arthur Nixon (21st May 1913-1985 born in Leicester) and Eric Francis (7th June 1914-1939 born in Brighton), both baptised by Norman Macleod Lang, Bishop Suffragan (not at St Martin’s).  On the outbreak of war Arthur senior offered himself for military service but was turned away as he was not in good health.  He retired as clerk and verger to St Martin’s shortly afterwards, in September 1915.

Arthur re-enlisted at Brighton on 24th August 1914, initially for three years or duration of war, as a gunner.  By now he was 5’10” tall and weighed 175lbs.  Lizzie Grace returned to Leicester.  Arthur was promoted to bombardier a month later, then corporal in January 1917.  He served with the British Expeditionary Force in France from 21st May 1915, embarking from Southampton, to March 1919.  It’s not clear which regiment he was with. By 1919 Arthur had suffered 40% disablement due to a crushed limb.  A temporary pension was awarded while he recovered. Arthur transferred to the Yorkshire regiment and joined a Prisoner of War camp at Ripon by 15th November 1920.  He was promoted to Sergeant and appointed Bandmaster in the 4th East Yorkshire Regiment, remaining until 1922.  In 1920 his wife and children were then living at 5 Cradock Road, where they remained for only a few months.  Eventually Arthur left the service altogether and returned to civilian life to work as a musician, playing the cello in Mr Roland Rogers’ orchestra in Bridlington.  His parents also came to Bridlington, living at Hermitage Road until Arthur senior’s death in January 1925.  He was buried at Bridlington Cemetery.  Mother Eliza returned to Leicestershire and died at Hinckley in 1927.

Life was not going well for Arthur.  He had been drinking heavily since before his marriage and although he tried to curb the amount he drank, the craving increased year upon year.  Money became a problem and his work was affected.  He and his family lived in a down at heel flat in Fort Terrace, Bridlington.  On Maundy Thursday 1929 Arthur lost his job at Bridlington Grand Pavillion.  He was told that this was due to non-attendance, caused by his drinking.  On Good Friday morning 29th March 1929, following several days in which Arthur drank constantly and did not go to work, Eliza woke up to find Arthur under his bed and almost dead, the room full of gas.  He had buried himself in bedclothes next to the gas tap.  The coroner’s verdict was suicide whilst of unsound mind.  When he expressed sympathy with Eliza she said “Thank you sir.  It is a great pity.  He would have had another chance.”

After Arthur’s death Lizzie Grace returned to Leicester.   Son Arthur became a police constable of the Leicester City Police.  Eric Francis – who was described as having a magnificent physique – became a photo-lithographic artist and worked and lodged in Birmingham whilst living with his mother at 392 Narborough Road.  He was killed in a motorcycle accident at Atherstone on 11th March 1939, when he was 24.  A tyre had burst, throwing him off the motorbike and fracturing his skull.

Lizzie Grace remained in Leicester where she died in 1971.  She did not remarry.

The WOODHOUSE family – Lieutenant WOODHOUSE, Cecil Herbert Mackay (1891-1918)

Cecil Mackay Woodhouse
Cecil Mackay Woodhouse

Cecil Herbert Mackay Woodhouse was born in Leicester on 18th May 1891, the only son of Vivian Mackay Woodhouse (c1867-1948), solicitor and Helen Maria Looseman (c1864-1939), who was the daughter of a minor canon of Canterbury Cathedral.  They married in Canterbury Cathedral in 1888.  Vivian had become a solicitor after a career in the navy.  Together they had three children:  Vivienne (1889-1942); Cecil (1891-1918) and Helen Mary “Nell” (1893-1976).

Woodhouse 96 New Walk 3
96 New Walk

Cecil was born at 55 Sparkenhoe Street in the parish of St Peter’s.  Vivian took on the leasehold of a villa at The Fosse, Syston in 1896, which had six bedrooms, a billiards room, dining room decorated in “finest Italian style”, garden with croquet lawn and rockeries, a tennis court and a mushroom house.  It was described in 1899 as being “decorated in a most artistic manner.”  By 1904 the family had moved to 96 New Walk where they remained until around 1909.  After this time they moved out of the city, living at Queniborough Hall where they would remain until after the war.  Vivian Mackay Woodhouse practiced law at Salusbury & Woodhouse solicitors, which from 1908-72 had its office at 3 Wycliffe Street in the parish of St Martin’s.

Kings School
The Kings School, Canterbury

Cecil attended Stoneygate School and then The King’s School, Canterbury from 1904 until 1909 (where he was a member of the Officers Training Corp).  Afterwards he studied architecture, passing RIBA exams in 1912 whilst working as a trainee architect with Messrs Stockdale Harrison and Sons.  No doubt he was acquainted with Everard Harrison.

Cecil applied for a commission in the Leicestershire Regiment on 13th October 1914 but was turned down.  He then applied to the Sheffield City Battalion, York & Lancaster Regiment – this time successfully.  He was commissioned 2nd lieutenant in the 12th Battalion on 1st November 1914 and promoted to Lieutenant shortly afterwards in March 1915.  Cecil served in Egypt during late 1915 and then from 15th March 1916 in France. On 9th April 1916 he was wounded but returned to service a month later, only to be hurt again a few weeks later, this time more seriously with wounds to his scalp, leg and chest.  He was treated at Number 2 Southern General Hospital in Bristol and eventually returned to the front.

Cecil died in Flanders on 5th June 1918.  Three officers including Cecil, plus 68 men from other ranks had effected a raid on Lankhoff Farm, which was unsuccessful.  Cecil’s body was not recovered.  His father was sent a telegram ten days later, which read “Regret to inform you that Lieut. C. H. Woodhouse York and Lancaster Regt missing fifth June.  Further news if received.”  The death was reported by the Germans to the Red Cross in September 1918.  He is remembered at Tyne Cot Memorial.

After the war Helen Maria and Vivian moved to “Knighton Close”, Ratcliffe Road.  Between 1928 and 1941 they lived at 94 Regent Road.  Helen Maria died living at 94 Regent Road in 1939 and Vivian at 19 Lower Hastings Street in 1948 where he was living from at least 1946.  Vivian was still practising as a solicitor as late as 1939.  They were buried in Queniborough and their grave also remembered Cecil:

Cecil Woodhouse memorial1IN EVER LOVING MEMORY/OF/HELEN M WOODHOUSE/BELOVED WIFE OF VIVIAN MACKAY WOODHOUSE/WHO PASSED AWAY ON 15TH FEB 1939/ALSO OF VIVIAN MACKAY WOODHOUSE/THE DEARLY LOVED HUSBAND OF/HELEN WOODHOUSE/WHO DIED ON 30TH JUNE 1938/ALSO OF THEIR BELOVED DAUGHTER HELEN MARY/DIED JANUARY 1976/ALSO OF THEIR BELOVED SON/CECIL/WHO WAS LOST IN THE GREAT WAR

Cecil’s sister Vivienne and her husband Sir John Harold Corah lived on at Queniborough Hall.  In 1933 Sir John was High Sheriff of Leicestershire.