Andrew Nugee (1813-1859), son of Francis James and Mary, was baptised at St James Westminster in 1813. He was a curate living in London in 1851 and was installed as vicar of Wymering and Rector of Widley, Hampshire, in 1858. The right of presentation to the consolidated living of Wymering and Widley had been purchased by his relation Francis Thomas Nugee in 1847. Andrew married Elizabeth Wroughton Richards (c1827-1877) in 1854 in the parish church of Farlington, Hampshire, where her father was Rector. Andrew and Elizabeth had three children, all born at Wymering: Francis Edward (1855-1930), George Matthew (1856-1892) and Andrew Richards (1857-1921).
Francis Edward Nugee was born on 9th June 1855 and baptised at Wymering on 8th July 1855. A silver chalice was presented to the church in his honour. Andrew died on Christmas Day 1859 at Clifton, Bristol, leaving £35,000 to Elizabeth as sole executor.
After Andrew’s death Elizabeth and the children lived at 53 Old Steine, Kemp Town, Brighton. On 7th September 1865 Elizabeth married Alfred James Field (1820-1902) at St James, Paddington. Alfred lived at number 28 Old Steine (next door to future barrister “The Great Defender” Edward Marshall Hall, then just two years old), was a surgeon and a widower with four children: George Lainson (1845-1922), Gertrude Anne Adelaide (1850-1929), Edmund Alfred (1852-1902) and Hubert Edward (1856-1877).
Francis Edward Nugee and his siblings lived together with their mother, stepfather and unmarried step siblings at 22 Denmark Terrace, Brighton. They later moved to 10 Strathmore Gardens, Kensington. Francis attended Eton and then, from 1876, Balliol College Oxford. On 2nd November 1877, his mother died.
After Francis was awarded his BA he entered Cuddesdon, an Anglo-Catholic theological college, and was ordained Deacon at Llandaff Cathedral in September 1879. He served as curate at St German’s, Cardiff, during which time the number of communicants increased from “about 100 to 418, which was the number who took the sacrament in Easter last.” Much later, Francis would donate a finely painted and carved organ case to the church. He was ordained priest on 19th September 1880 at Llandaff Cathedral, and awarded his MA from Balliol in 1882. Francis remained at Cardiff until March 1887 when he joined brother in law Bishop Charles Allen Smythies (1844-1894) in Zanzibar or “the Central African Mission Field, a movement inaugurated by the Universities of Oxford and Cambridge,” and who had also served alongside Francis at St German’s, as vicar.
Francis married Edith Isabel Alston (1859-1958) – half sister to Bishop Smythies – at Barnwell, Northamptonshire on 13th October 1887. Edith was the daughter of the Reverend George Alston. Two of her uncles performed the service – the Reverend G W Huntingford, Rector of Barnwell and the Reverend Arthur J Richards, Rector of Farlington, Hampshire. Edith and Francis had five children, all born at Sneinton Vicarage in Nottinghamshire: Elizabeth Catherine (1888-1981); Laura Christine (1889-1970); Francis John (1891-1966); George Travers (1893-1977) and Andrew Charles (1896-1977).
Francis was vicar of Sneinton from 1888 to 1895, Rector of Shelton between 1895 and 1898, Vicar of Croxton Kerrial 1898-1903, Rector of Muston 1903-1913 and Rural Dean of Framland from 1906 to 13. Finally in 1913 he was appointed as vicar of St Martin’s, Leicester, its principal church. He was installed in July 1913, not before presenting every guest – the communicants of the parish of Muston – at his farewell tea at Muston Rectory with a photograph of himself.
In 1918 Francis left St Martin’s to take up a retirement parish in the quiet village of Shangton. Francis died at Shangton Rectory (now called The Manor House) on 20th May 1930 and was buried in the churchyard. A memorial was erected in June 1931, dedicated by his son Andrew, then vicar of Little Houghton, and his son in law the Reverend R P E Richard, vicar of Bramber and Bidding in Sussex:
To the praise and eternal glory of God/Honorary Canon of Peterborough Cathedral/and of the Cathedral Church of Leicester/Rector of this parish 1918-1930/Pray for the soul of/Francis Edward Nugee/Born June 9th 1855 died May 20th 1930/Also for the soul of/Edith Isabel his wife/born July 21st 1859 died April 11th 1958/Eternal rest/Grant unto them/O Lord/And let/light perpetual shine/upon them
Francis left an estate of £16,000. He left “the advowson of Widley-cum-Wymering” to his wife during her lifetime, and then to son Francis John, and the residue of his property in trust during his wife’s lifetime to provide an income for her, and then equally to his children or their issue.